Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Providence

Providence: the protective care of God or of nature as a spiritual power.

Also, a city in Rhode Island, the one in which I currently find myself. The path to healing starts here, appropriately enough considering what Providence means. I almost died in Virginia, but ran in the night--thus saving my life, but leaving my friends & family behind. To finance this mad dash to safety, I self-published my extremely queer poetry under the title PSALMS FOR THE QUEER, even though I didn't feel ready. Now, it's reached #36 on Amazon:



Tomorrow is my first open mic poetry reading of my life at as220 in downtown Providence. If I get there early enough & get my name on the list. 15 slots for the 3 hour session is lean, so I'll need to slide in like a bandit. The thing is, my poetry is better read aloud I think, there's an element of performance that brings some of the subtleties to life. Here's the event poster:


For about a week, I had a blossoming Instagram account, but it got deleted today (thus my sudden foray into blogging) so, to ensure my content won't get erased with no notice & for no reason--I've bought my own domain, and I do intend on making it my own domain. As to why my account got deleted, I'm not entirely sure, I tried to appeal it but to do so you have to enter your username & every time I did I got a smug little message that said "this account doesn't exist." Like, yeah, because you just deleted it! 

Anyway, gonna shake that off. Zuck just hates to see a girlboss winning. I'll stop saying that when it stops making me laugh, and I'm determined to laugh about this entire fiasco. Well, having a social media account get deleted doesn't really reach the level of "fiasco" but I'm dramatic enough to turn almost anything into a fiasco. Maybe I just love the word fiasco, I mean I did just use it 4 separate times. That's the kind of next level Extra energy I intend to bring to everything I do. 

I did learn a lot about how poets are representing & promoting themselves on Instagram & I can use those lessons to continue hyping PSALMS. I'll need to start recording more of my work & putting it out there, on whatever medium serves my purposes best (YouTube?) & posting content on here regularly in hopes of drawing a regular readership. That includes posting some of my poetry as well as making posts about my journeys around the States. 

SO the adventure starts here! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

It has been a MINUTE

 Hey! So it's been a couple of WEEKS? A good amount of shit has happened (good shit) since my last post on March 7th. Thankfully, I'...